A Versatile Test with a Variety of Uses
Your doctor may order a CT scan to diagnose a variety of internal conditions. A CT scan (also known as computerized tomography scan) visualizes the inside of your body using a series of computers and X-ray machines. All of our CT scan equipment utilizes low-radiation dose technology, minimizing your exposure to x-rays.
How Does It Work?
The CT scan is a ring-like device where the patient lies still for a few minutes. As the patient is lying in the machine, a series of rotating X-rays takes pictures of the body. These images are processed to create cross-sectional and 3D images of the areas to be studied.
Our radiologists will then examine these images, identify any abnormalities, and issue a comprehensive report to your physician to help guide them with the diagnosis and treatment.
Do I Need a CT Scan?
Some of the reasons your physician may recommend that you to get a CT scan include:
- Evaluating treatment response or surveillance for a chronic medical condition.
- Unexplained pain, weight loss, fever, or other symptoms.
- Screening for or excluding disease you may be at risk for (e.g. lung cancer).
- There are many other reasons you may need a CT scan. For additional information, please consult your physician.
The Advantages of a CT Scan
- extremely rapid acquisition (quick scanning)
- exquisite detail of internal anatomy
- wealth of clear and specific information
- able to visualize a large portion of the body in a single exam
Beyond routine CT imaging, some of our specialty exams include:
- lung cancer screening CT
- CT virtual colonoscopy
- CT angiography, to evaluate blood vessels
- CT calcium scoring of the heart
- Sinus CT
- Spine imaging
Our CT imaging experience has been optimized for the patient’s comfort. Our machine is designed to be non-claustrophobic. The scan is also painless and fast, lasting just a few minutes (patients may require an intravenous injection of contrast, for some types of studies).
All of our CT imaging is done using low-dose technique, exposing our patients to as little radiation as possible.
We offer prompt turnaround for reporting. Most reports are delivered to your physician the same day as your scan; all are delivered within one working day.